Thursday, April 22, 2010

Working with the Wood - Earth Day Inspired Paintings

I've been working on some new paintings. These paintings celebrate the beauty of the forest and nature.
In these paintings, I am focusing on the wood from the panel I paint on to show through the clear encaustic wax and highlighting the beauty of the natural color of the wood.
 I first paint the wood panel with a clear encaustic wax. Then I add the pigmented encaustic wax in blues, greens and black to achieve the colors. I have also added some gold leaf in this painting.
 On this mini bird painting I burnt the wood with the blow torch I use in my encaustic painting. I then added the image and colors.
I really like the rich deep colors in these paintings. I find them strong yet at the same time calming.

8 comments:

  1. Ooo, I really like the wood color...the rich deep colors really give it all a whole different look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~what a beautiful way to honor this day...i l♥♥♥ve the burnt look on the birdie painting...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work, it's so unique and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful as ever. Happy Earth Day to you - we are the only planet with chocolate you know !

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented. I love all your artwork.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone - love getting all your feedback!
    xoxox Susan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...