Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Driftwood Painting

Living on an island in the Pacific Northwest is fantastic. The natural beauty of this forested haven amazes me daily.
 I try taking daily walks along the nearby shore and many times I will find some wonderful pieces of driftwood.
Much of the wood is too large or too small but this time I found a piece just the right size. I decide to create something fun.
I started by painting white encaustic beeswax on to the wood.
 I added some image transfer trees to the white encaustic. I then hammered some small black nails around the encaustic paint. I finished the painting by wrapping a bit of rusty wire around the nails.
I really like how the texture of the wood, wax and wire come together.

5 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I love the mix of pattern and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. refreshingly different - was the white encaustic happy to stay on the driftwood, Susan?
    Cheers,
    Jac Seery Howard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I was wondering too if the encaustic would adhere to the highly textured surface.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...